Monday, October 10, 2016

Social Networking Sites


Image result for facebook vs twitter
Visit Facebook, Twitter - and TWO other social networking site of your choosing. Compare your impressions of these 4 sites. Note that you probably should register and log in to get the complete picture.

The social media is amazing, it feed us the social interaction that we crave so badly. For the purpose of this blog, I ended up comparing Facebook & Twitter to Tumblr & Snapchat. All four of them share a similar style, but all of them have a unique way of delivering.

The king of social media sites, Facebook. This monstrous social site is amazing, and I dare to say that I couldn’t live without it. Out of the four, Facebook is more personal and feels like a fingerprint. It’s like keeping all of your contacts in your pocket and being able to access their personal lives with ease at any time. This single site has enable me to stay in contact with family outside of the country, as well as allow me to connect with family members that I have never knew existed before I started using Facebook. It allows people to share pictures, opinions, information, and also create groups to connect like―minded individuals. Its sole purpose is to connect people, and it does the job well.

Twitter on the other hand, is about being concise and those that can succinctly express themselves seems to gain popularity. Personally, I feel that twitter is poetic, and hashtags means everything. Hashtags connects people to a certain topic and some ever become trends. I don’t have much experience with this site, but ever since I have started exploring it I immediately felt in love with its structure. It’s a new way for me to stay find out about news, and information, without having to read a lot. But most importantly, it’s a quicker way to connect to people and their ideas, when contrasting it to Facebook.

The third site I explored was Tumblr. Tumblr is like Facebook, but not as personal. This site is especially popular among artist. It’s mostly used as a way to expressed art with blog―like description. Because I am an artist I know of this site, however recent trends have started to make Tumblr as the king of memes collaboration. In a way, meme could be considered a type of art, because it is a type of human expression. The purpose of Tumblr, like Facebook, is to connect people but not as personally. Although, acting in anonymity is very popular in all type of social media site, from personal experience I seen Tumblr to have the highest number of users refusing to disclose their actual identity, but instead getting recognized from the number of “reblog” their context gets.

The last social media site I compared and contrast was Snapchat. Snapchat is my least favorite social media site, because context usually gets erased after 24 hours. The purpose of Snapchat is to share life experiences with other people, either through pictures or videos, with 3D effects and emoticons. It differs from the rest because its content doesn’t last long. This is actually the selling point for a lot of people because other social media apps like Facebook revealing a vulgar picture by mistake unforgivable, which can lead to a series of consequences; Like the loss of a potential job. But this social site never appealed to me for reasons I can’t explain. I just never really got the hang of it.

In the end, I believe that all four of the social medial sites are a form of blogging, and a modern form of a diary. Which ultimately makes me wondered, how come the use of a diary is no longer a secret?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jose,
    I have heard about Tumblr, but never knew the reason behind it being so big among this generation. Thanks for the brief explanation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, this is something I noticed not too long ago, since my interest on Tumblr recently peaked.

      Delete